Nearly a year ago I went to learn how to enamel properly with Lynne Glazzard, artist in residence at Whitby Museum. I ground up scary toxic chemicals and made things very hot and suddenly there was melty glass stuck to my silver.
I haven’t managed to achieve the same results with a blow torch. I’m sorted for brulees but there have been enamelling fails, and some Anglo Saxon words.
I needed some proper hardware. I needed a kiln.
Just before taking the plunge and just to make sure it wasn’t something special about the Yorkshire air that made the enamelling work, I borrowed a kiln on Friday.
Eight hundred degrees. Three very scary words, especially when they’re in your own kitchen. I was told that anything that came into contact with the inside of the kiln could burst into flames. I feared for the dog’s safety, let alone that of my own arm.
I indulged in displacement activities. I even folded undies for a while rather than go in the kitchen but I knew I needed to face the fear so I ground the enamels and just got on with it.
I made a little silver and enamel forget-me-not brooch (3cm wide). It’s a start. In the next day or two I’ll be clicking ‘add to basket’ in the kiln shop.
In other news Nina at Tabiboo has won the little ring and sketchbook giveaway prize. Congratualtions Nina! Please could you email me your address?