Both our books aim to provide uplifting escapism through cooking and creativity. Making Winter is based on the project I ran on my blog and Twitter in 2011 and 2015 and is filled with beautiful, mood-boosting seasonal craft projects and gentle encouragement to get out on nature walks to gather materials. It’s a creative survival guide for Winter.
The Little Library Cookbook transports you into beloved books and from there to the enveloping comfort of the kitchen where you can recreate recipes from familiar titles such as Comet in Moominland, A Room with a View and Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
On Saturday 16th December we will hold a day retreat at which you can immerse yourself in our books at the beautiful Paper Mill Kitchen Studio between Angel & Old Street tube stations in central London (see images above).
You will eat food you will have read about in novels, prepare bookish and bosky treats, make beautiful things out of woodland finds, eat slabs of delicious homemade cake and enjoy hedgerow cocktails in the early evening, all in a kitchen studio trimmed with beautiful natural decorations.
Emma and Kate will hold 4 workshops throughout the day. You will make a silver fossil pendant, a jar of crystallised ginger, a beautiful woodland wreath and cook up a jar of moreish, liquor-laced fruit mincemeat and take all these home with you.
You’ll also take away a hand-printed tote bag containing creative and delicious things to encourage you to make and cook in the months to follow.
It will be a day to cheer and fortify you before the frenzy of Christmas and the greyness of January and February. This retreat will help you through until March.
The price of the retreat includes:
- 4 workshops (details below)
- Delicious two course lunch
- Cocktails and canapés in the evening
- Goody bag filled with creative and culinary delights
- Baked treats and drinks
Plan for the day:
9.30 Arrive, drinks.
10.00Introductory talks from Emma and Kate on the premise of their books
10.30 Workshop: Make fragrant crystallised ginger with Kate, from Agatha Christie’s The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding
A perfect gift, or something to keep for yourself and nibble on the sofa after Christmas dinner. Simple to make, and easy to replicate at home, Kate will teach you how to prepare, cook and store your ginger.
11.30 Break for drinks and chocolate almond polenta biscuits made by Emma
12.15 Workshop: Make woodland wreaths with Emma, using birch, ivy and seedheads she has gathered from the Fens
Not all twigs are created equal. Emma will teach you how to identify and harvest the best bendy sticks and then show you how to make a beautiful woodland wreath with her Fenny bosky finds (not just for Christmas).
1.15-2.15 Delicious, seasonal two course lunch, made by Kate
2.30 Workshop: Make rich fruit and port mincemeat with Kate, from Kate Atkinson’s Behind the Scenes at the Museum
Is there anything that screams Christmas quite as much as a mincemeat pie? Kate will show you how to stir up a big pot of glistening, richly-flavoured, citrus fruit mincemeat, ready for your favourite pastry.
3.30 Drinks, blackberry streusel cake and lemon and thyme and ginger bars made by Emma
4.15 Workshop: Make a silver fossil necklace with Emma: imprint sage leaves into silver clay and fire to make a beautiful gift.
Emma will teach you how to imprint leaves into silver clay and the oxidise them to make a truly beautiful fine silver pendant (see below). You will be able to make them at home for the twinkly celebration that is approaching…
5.45 – 7.00 Hedgerow cocktails and sausage rolls (recipe from from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire). Emma and Kate will sign copies of their books.
Terms and Conditions:
- Paying for your retreat space secures and automatically books you in for this event
- We are unable to keep spaces open for you without full payment
- If we cancel the retreat due to illness we will provide you with a full refund, or you can choose to transfer your booking to a future event that still has a space/spaces remaining
- If you find out that you are unable to attend the retreat and the date is more than 14 days away then we can offer a refund to you, minus 30% for administration.
- If you wish to cancel your space on this retreat and the date you have booked is less than 14 days away then I’m afraid we cannot offer a refund. However if you can find a friend who can come in your place then great – let me know his/her name and we can organise the transfer.